Contest & Submission
Times They Were A-Changing: Women Remember the 60s & 70s
Editors: Kate Farrell, Linda Joy Myers, Amber Lea Starfire
SUBMISSION PERIOD IS NOW OVER, DEADLINE : JANUARY 15, 2013
All authors were notified of first round selections, March 15th.
Contest Winners and Final Selection Notices: March 31, 2013!
This is a unique collection of women’s true and compelling stories and poetry about the sixties and seventies—a special and memorable time in women’s lives—yet there are so many stories untold. We want to hear from you! We’re looking for personal narrative and poetry which will evoke this unique era in American and world history.
The editors will be selecting stories that weave the historical or culturalsignificance of a unique experience into the storyline, though we don’t want just an “eyewitness to history” story focused on being present at a famous event or protest. The focus of the stories for this unique collection is the wisdom gained from your own experience. We’re looking for stories and poems that evoke those times expressed in your authentic voice with originality and resonance.
Prose submissions should demonstrate the art of storytelling, and possess a story arc with dramatic appeal. We would like poetry to suggest story as well as conjure imagery and elicit emotion.
- 1st – $300, publication, and 5 copies of the anthology
- 2nd – $150, publication, and 3 copies of the anthology
- 3rd – $75, publication, and 2 copies of the anthology
- 1st Poetry – $200, publication, and 2 copies of the anthology
All entries are eligible for publication.
- Submission period: September 1, 2012 – January 15, 2013 (deadline)
- Prose: 2,500 words maximum
- Poetry: no maximum
- Include title of piece and page numbers in header, but DO NOT INCLUDE AUTHOR NAME OR IDENTIFYING INFO. IN THE UPLOADED DOCUMENT. (We’ll ask for your contact information and bio in separate fields.) If you include identifying information, such as your name or address, anywhere in the document, your submission will be automatically disqualified from the contest; however, the piece will still be eligible for publication.
- All entries must be proofread and edited for clarity and mechanics of style
- All submissions must be new material for publication, no reprints
- Only ONE submission in each category (prose & poetry) per author
- Editors reserve the right to choose pieces based on appropriateness of subject, writing technique and style
- Minor editing for length or clarity should be expected
- Authors will be notified by March 15, 2013
- Page margins of 1-inch, all the way around
- Text must be double-spaced, 12-point serif font, such as Times New Roman
Do not include your name or any identifying/contact information in the body of your uploaded document.
We’ll ask for your contact information and bio in separate fields on the submission form. The contest is being judged “blind.” This means that if you include identifying information anywhere in the document, your submission will be automatically disqualified from the contest; however, the piece will still be considered and eligible for publication.
By submitting your piece you agree, if selected for prizes and/or publication, to grant anthology editors nonexclusive rights to print, publish, reproduce, distribute and license the piece as part of the anthology; you will retain copyright to your piece.